OLPC wireless startup at boot time

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Mon Oct 18 23:38:11 EDT 2010

> It seems to me -- if the just-started XO (any model) is *already* receiving
> identity information off the air - why BREAK that connection ?

> The just-started XO should initially set its frequency to be the same as it
> was whenever that XO was last used.  If at least one *other* radio signal is
> heard, it should leave that frequency connected -- and depend on the user to
> intervene (through Neighborhood View) if now this XO should instead be
> connected to a different station (or frequency).

There is a layer of quirks associated with turning on the WiFi.

Another way to see some of them is to use suspend on lid close.  If you shift
to the Neighborhood View before closing the lid, you can watch what happens
after you open it.
  http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/10388

Normally, I use an AP.  On booting, the WiFi connects to my AP before I can
switch to the Neighborhood View.  Any sloth on the WiFi is masked by the time
it takes to start Sugar.  That's probably why this area hasn't had more
attention.