[Dextrose] Problem with olpc-os-builder: ZD image of 20 MB

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 09:14:37 EDT 2010

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 7:07 PM, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 10:32:26PM +0200, Bernie Innocenti wrote:
>> Note that there's a real limit to observe: the old DOS 8+3 naming
>> scheme. Otherwise, the OFW will display a mangled name.
>
> OpenFirmware will still fs-update or copy-nand from a mangled name if it
> is typed correctly.

Yeah, workable for developers but I don't think our signing machinery
can do the right thing to produce an fs.zip for long names. (Who could
predict what your long filename will mangle to?)

So no four-finger-salute to upgrade in the field (or anywhere with
secure machines) will work.

In fact, our signing scripts should complain loudly about anything
that isn't 8.3 as it'll only lead to tears and loathing.

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions