[Dextrose] Problem with olpc-os-builder: ZD image of 20 MB

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Thu Oct 14 19:07:00 EDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 10:32:26PM +0200, Bernie Innocenti wrote:
> Note that there's a real limit to observe: the old DOS 8+3 naming
> scheme. Otherwise, the OFW will display a mangled name.

OpenFirmware will still fs-update or copy-nand from a mangled name if it
is typed correctly.

If you really need longer file names, use a filesystem that supports
them correctly.  Current versions of OpenFirmware appear to work fine
with ext2.  I'm able to fs-update from ext2 on 4 GB or 160 GB drives.

But if you suspect any of the laptops are on older firmware, it is best
to stick to FAT.

James Cameron