[squeakland] Audio recorder broken on XO-1.5

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu Oct 14 15:45:06 EDT 2010

On 14.10.2010, at 11:58, tom.staubitz at fhtw-berlin.de wrote:

> On Oct 14, 2010, at 6:50 PM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>
>> We just did an update to the 4.1 release which might fix this, provided a "good" Squeak VM package is installed.
>
> How do I know if a "good" Squeak VM Package is installed?

It has to have the vm-sound-pulse module. The available modules are listed at the end of the "squeak -help" output. It was added in 4.0 but when building it, the right headers/libraries have to be installed, otherwise it is left out.

> Is there an easy way to update the XO to this new version?

Depends on what you mean by "easy" ;)

> My Settings->Software update says that my software is up to date. Or do I have to install it from source? Where do I find an installation guide? I'm not only looking at this from my perspective but also from a perspective of teachers that might not be techies.

If RPMs were available (that's what I meant by "packaging" at the start of this discussion) then you could upgrade them. But this requires using the command line, and you will have to have root access. IIUC many kids don't have root access so they cannot fix this themselves. Only a new operating system version would be "simple" because that's installed deployment-wide. But that does not happen often, if at all.

OTOH, recording worked fine in previous versions (before PulseAudio) so not too many people are affected yet, I think.

- Bert -