#10363 NORM 10.1.3: Auto-Suspend gets in the way when sharing over Salut

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Wed Oct 13 00:19:52 EDT 2010

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 10:21:12PM -0500, Mikus Grinbergs wrote:
> I was looking at the output of 'mount'.  What's the difference between
> that and the output of 'cat /proc/mounts' ?

/etc/mtab is a file on the filesystem.

/proc/mounts is a query to the kernel.

When no arguments are given to mount(8) it reads from /etc/mtab, which
is maintained by the same program when filesystems are mounted.

When a filesystem is mounted using --no-mtab, the /etc/mtab file won't
be updated.

/proc/mounts seems most reliable.

/etc/mtab seems to omit several filesystems.  It might have something to
do with /etc not being available at the time that some filesystems
become available.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/