XO keymap blues

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-reply-to-2010-3 at silbe.org
Thu Oct 7 17:29:41 EDT 2010

Excerpts from Daniel Drake's message of Thu Oct 07 22:45:15 +0200 2010:

> > Today I took a look at this, but I'm stuck: I do not even get the same
> > scancodes.
>
> They are remapped by hal by a fdi file. Shipped by olpc-utils I think.
> And for newer builds, they are remapped by udev. Those remappings are upstream.

Thanks, this got me on the right track!

I have found and read both the HAL file (OLPC builds only) and the udev
keymap, but as they use symbolic names I didn't expect them to affect
scancodes so I didn't give them a closer look before (as I assumed the
problem to be on a lower layer than those files).

I don't know why, but apparently udev isn't applying the
olpc-xo "keymap" to the keyboard device. If I manually run
"/lib/udev/keymap input/event3 olpc-xo" (which is what udev should run
according to /lib/udev/rules.d/95-keymap.rules), the scan code for left
grab matches and X recognises it as Super_L (like it should).

Next step is to figure out why udev doesn't work, but I'll leave that
for another day. Both /sys/class/dmi/id/sys_vendor and
/sys/class/dmi/id/product_name match the values in the rules files.
Just in case you spot something, here's the output of
"udevadm info --query=all --path=/sys/class/input/event3":

P: /devices/platform/i8042/serio0/input/input3/event3
N: input/event3
S: char/13:67
S: input/by-path/platform-i8042-serio-0-event-kbd
E: UDEV_LOG=3
E: DEVPATH=/devices/platform/i8042/serio0/input/input3/event3
E: SUBSYSTEM=input
E: DEVNAME=input/event3
E: ID_INPUT=1
E: ID_INPUT_KEY=1
E: ID_INPUT_KEYBOARD=1
E: ID_SERIAL=noserial
E: ID_PATH=platform-i8042-serio-0
E: XKBMODEL=olpc
E: XKBLAYOUT=us
E: XKBVARIANT=olpc
E: MAJOR=13
E: MINOR=67
E: DEVLINKS=/dev/char/13:67 /dev/input/by-path/platform-i8042-serio-0-event-kbd
E: DMI_VENDOR=OLPC

Sascha

--
http://sascha.silbe.org/