An XO on its last legs?

John Watlington wad at laptop.org
Mon Nov 29 21:11:08 EST 2010

The symptoms you describe (power light and Mic light coming on, but nothing else)
indicates that the main processor isn't executing any code.   This is usually caused
by one of two problems: corruption of the SPI ROM containing the boot loader or
a cracked solder ball underneath the processor.   I doubt it is the former, as once it
died it wouldn't restart.

You can test for the latter by pressing down on the processor (biggest chip on the
board) and seeing if it improves the situation.   Unfortunately, it is impossible to fix
this in the field.   It requires reflowing the board again.

Bummer,
wad