Firmware update

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Wed Nov 24 18:23:36 EST 2010

On 24 November 2010 23:15, Jerry Vonau <jvonau at shaw.ca> wrote:
> Yes I know, I don't want this to included, it is meant to be an
> alternative means to update firmware on a running XO, that is it.

Ah, great, no worries then. Just wanted to make sure you had an explanation.

>> And, in general OLPC advises against using yum and RPM on XOs. With
>> certain packages, doing this will override various tweaks put in place
>> by the build system. Sometimes the side effects will be subtle, and
>> other times they will be obvious.
>>

> Not saying that there are not dangers, yum seems to work fine once you
> get rid of the tmpfs on /var/cache/yum. The rpms that are released by
> OLPC and included in the build are excluded from the Fedora repos right?
> This excluding is carried forward to the repos, any %config files that
> were changed would not be overwritten by rpm/yum, the new files would be
> installed as .rpmnew. Which packages from Fedora, not counting locale
> stuff, have tweeks?

There are a few other cases to consider. One is with packages that are
tweaked without forking the packages. For example if you were to
upgrade gstreamer you'd lose our pulseaudio tweak that makes sound
work, and if you upgrade firefox you'd lose the tweak that makes it
use totem for video playback (totem uses hw accel and works well, ff
internal one doesn't use accel and performs badly).

Daniel