F14 os2 testing images available for XO-1 and XO-1.5

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Sun Nov 21 14:54:41 EST 2010

Hi,

Simon has built new Fedora 14 images for XO-1 and XO-1.5, available here:
http://build.laptop.org/F14/os2/

These efforts are now official so we'll step towards making this into
a proper release. There are still some pretty obvious issues though,
which we'll be working through.

Bug reports are now accepted, please put them in the "F14" milestone
on http://dev.laptop.org. If your bug is definitely within the realms
of the Sugar components included in the build (as opposed to OS-level
issues), the ticket would be better off on SugarLabs trac. If in doubt
you can file on dev.laptop.org or ask on this mailing list.

The big changes in this stream are below. I don't plan on making any
more, would prefer to focus on fixing and stability from now on.

Fedora 14
Sugar 0.90
GNOME 2.32
Linux 2.6.35.8

XO-1 switched from jffs2 to partitioned image: jffs2 boot, ubifs root

XO-1.5 switched from ext3 to ext4

Old OS images are not retained after olpc-update
http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/devel/2010-September/029889.html

Activation initramfs split from "run" initramfs (for faster boot)

"Run" initramfs slimmed down to 1.9mb (no python in any non-activation
bootpath) (for faster boot)

Package list trimmed for a smaller image (even though we've likely
still grown from the F11 days, as Fedora gets bigger and bigger)

To install on XO-1 you need the .onu and .uim files, and the OFW
command to flash is:
 update-nand u:\foo.onu

Daniel