XO-1.75 progress

david at lang.hm david at lang.hm
Fri Nov 12 14:57:35 EST 2010

On Fri, 12 Nov 2010, Hal Murray wrote:

>>> IMHO it's better to delay the release of the 1.75 and
>>> force putting in a touchscreen.
>
>> It's not a matter of time, it's a matter of the price deployments are
>> willing to pay for it.  The feedback we've heard so far is that since the
>> XO-1.75 without a touchscreen is every bit as functional as an XO-1.5 is,
>> deployments cannot justify paying the noticeable additional cost for a
>> touchscreen.
>
> How much more does a touchscreen cost?

per an earlier e-mail in this thread a touchscreen is ~$10, or >5% of the
total cost of the device.

> Is one available in the right form factor and/or how much NRE would it take
> to fit one in the current package?

when the XO-1 was about to come out, I was at ttalk at usenix where Mary
Lou Jespin said that there was space in the design for a touchscreen, but
that space would be used for better shock mounting if a suitible
touchscreen was not found.

David Lang