XO-1.75 progress

Carlos Nazareno object404 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 19:54:39 EST 2010

Yes, the touchscreen is very important and is a complete gamechanger.

The natural reaction for everyone is to try to use the screen as a
touchscreen, especially children nowadays.

Painting activites like colors are more natural and it becomes easier
to use point-and click games/activities that don't use the keyboard
with a touchscreen.

Touchscreens are just so... natural, ergonomic and, usable.

Here's another big, big, big thing with regards to schoolwork:

With a touchscreen, you can draw diagrams & doodles when taking notes
which are essential in school + the creative process and are why
laptops as they were cannot replace notebooks.

It's a big shame the stylus for the XO-1 was never built and
functioned. That would have solved it.

Also, everyone here has to remember that despite the world going
digital, penmanship is still a skill young children need to master,
especially for every different culture - moreso chinese with its
complex writing system. Writing is just too awkward with the touchpad.
Did I mention drawing & coloring is an important skill for young
children? (I want to build a coloring book app - I can easily do it in
Flash/AIR)

If the stylus will still not be made to run on the XO-1.75, a
touchscreen is a *must*-have. It's just broken without it and will
make the machine a bit less relevant.

IMHO it's better to delay the release of the 1.75 and force putting in
a touchscreen. With the onslaught of cheap Android tablets coming from
China, IMHO the next XO would be irrelevant to the public without it
as it would offer no significant change outside the hood from the 1.5.

There's just so many creative things app-wise one can do with multitouch :-/

That being said, congrats on the progress!

-Naz

--
carlos nazareno
http://twitter.com/object404