Dead Production WLAN card

Paul Fox pgf at laptop.org
Thu May 20 11:31:03 EDT 2010

richard wrote:
 > On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 10:48 AM,  <pgf at laptop.org> wrote:
 > > it seems i was mistaken.  the card was disabled using gnome's nm-applet.
 > >

 > Quanta was unable to duplicate the failure last night using the
 > GNOME/NM method.  Can we verify that they both do the same thing?
 > Just calling a simple script is much easier to test with.

they definitely do not do the same thing.

NM doesn't touch the rfkill settings.  unchecking the gnome applet's
"Enable Wireless" doesn't change the output of "rfkill list", nor
does it affect the output of iwconfig.  i don't actually know what
it really does do.

(annoyingly, unchecking the applet's "Enable Networking" disables
networking in a way that i can't undo.  oh -- restarting gnome
seems to fix it.)

paul
 paul fox, pgf at laptop.org