Idle-suspend a little too intrusive to user experience?

Paul Fox pgf at laptop.org
Tue May 11 11:57:38 EDT 2010

i wrote:
 > daniel wrote:
 >  >
 >  > 3. After a lid-suspend, the machine frequently sleeps before it has
 >  > scanned or reconnected for wireless networks. The user sits there
 >  > waiting and waiting for the network to appear again, and it's not
 >  > going to appear until they realise what's happened and intervene.
 >  > (related #9854, but I feel that this is a more general problem)
 >
 > i'll try and find a way to detect that we're in the "associating"
 > phase.  this one has hit me, too, and i agree it's very annoying
 > to realize you're waiting for something that's never going to happen.

while i could query NM for it's connection state, and inhibit if it's
"connecting", i'm uncomfortable with that.  i've seen cases where
the laptop will stay in that state forever on an AP, apparently never
timing out.  (i'll investigate more next time i see this.)  NM also
always passes through the "disconnected" state on the way to "connecting"
right after a wakeup, and it's that state that is excessively long
when #9854 is happening.  so it's hard to tell a real disconnected from
a "transient" disconnected.

i think the right solution, at least until we understand the root
cause of #9854, is simply to inhibit idle suspend for a full 60
seconds after waking from led or power button sleep.  this change
will appear in the next release of powerd (22, i think).

paul
 paul fox, pgf at laptop.org