problems with an XO

Richard A. Smith richard at laptop.org
Mon Mar 29 18:55:45 EDT 2010

On 03/29/2010 11:40 AM, Rodolfo D. Arce S. wrote:

> Connected cable in XO to serial adapter, connected to extra computer....
>
> # ./forth spiflash.dic
> ok line /dev/ttyUSB0
> ok flash q2e41.rom
>
> when in the serial console, i tryed to flash with the q2e41.rom file
> that is published in the olpc wiki, and it gives this error

Do you have the necessary equipment to run this procedure?  You have to
have the 5 pin EC connector soldered on to the XO PCB and a 5 wire
serial adapter with the proper 65Mhz clock getting generated.  If not
then it won't work.

2nd you should know that even if you have the right equipment the
success rate of this procedure is very, very, low.  It has failed for me
under laboratory conditions for what seems to be no apparent reason.
I've given up on this procedure.

IMHO you will have a much easier time if you just replace the SPI flash
with one from a known good board.

> ok flash q2e41.rom
> Image file is the wrong length

your download/file copy is corrupted.

> I dowloaded the q2e18.rom file from the OLPC wiki and starts fine:
>
> ok flash q2e18.rom
> Checking Integrity..
>
> and it stays there for a long time.. more than the 17 min.. close to
> half an hour and counting
>
> any thoughts?

See above.  If you don't have the right stuff you are in an infinite wait.

> How can I tell if something is being writen to the flash?

The procedure has a progress indicator but you never get there.

> How can I tell if the machine has something (good or bad ) in the flash?

There's a verify step you can run after the programming.

--
Richard A. Smith  <richard at laptop.org>
One Laptop per Child