Adobe Flash 10.1 + AIR 2.0 on the XO

Tiago Marques tiagomnm at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 16:22:55 EDT 2010

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 2:05 AM, Mikus Grinbergs <mikus at bga.com> wrote:

> > I can tell you that youtube is well within reach of both the XO-1 and
> 1.5,
> > currently (or at least up to build 114), it was running better and faster
> on
> > the XO-1 rather than on the XO 1.5 due to the presence of Xv support. The
> > problem is that I can only have decent performance by not using Flash but
> by
> > using the Firefox Greasemonkey add-on and the HQTube script:
> > http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/63509
>
> I tried to do what you describe -- but that isn't my concept of watching
> YouTube.  The way I ran it, the HQTube script appeared to download the
> entire clip before trying to play that clip -- I prefer to start seeing
> a YouTube clip within seconds of clicking on the internet link for it.

That is configurable by tweaking Gnome Mplayer AFAIK.

> Much worse, with the HQTube script installed, an error popup told me the
> downloaded clip could not be played because I did not have the Sorenson
> Spark codec installed -- Wikipedia says that codec is built-in to Flash,
> but I don't know how to acquire it for whatever HQTube tried to execute.

I haven't tested HQTube script on the Fedora install but on Gentoo it ran
buttery smooth. Will check Fedora soon.

> Xv capability now works on both the F11 XO-1.5 and the F11 XO-1 -- but
> people posting about Flash claim that "native" Flash needs RGB, whereas
> Xv uses YUV -- therefore "native" Flash does not invoke Xv acceleration.

Except that some people were claiming that you can get the data accelerated
from Xv back to do the RGB thingy. I can't be sure on that though.

> mikus
>

> p.s.  On XO-1.5, latest Flash plugin plus latest Firefox still regularly
> gives a "slideshow" for YouTube, but the result is often tolerable.

My experience exactly.

Best regards,
Tiago