Adobe Flash 10.1 + AIR 2.0 on the XO

Neil Graham Lerc at screamingduck.com
Thu Mar 25 06:16:32 EDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-03-24 at 11:42 -0300, Gabriel Eirea wrote:

> My personal observation is that this came from a high demand on two
> fronts: kids and teachers complaining about youtube and online games
> on one side, and local companies used to develop web pages and such
> that wanted to create content but only had resources to do it in flash
> and complained about gnash being too restrictive on the other side.
I believe there are solutions to all-bar-one of those problems. There's
not much that can be done for games already written in Flash.  They are
already there and most are written to use a more powerful machine than
the XO.

For the other points, there are possibilities. Video off of the web can
be tackled a number of ways, I've not actually done much youtube style
watching on the XO myself, but I hear others have had success with non
flash options.

I have been attempting to come up with a solution for custom content. A
browser plugin that may be a step in the right direction.
http://code.google.com/p/thefbi/wiki/Intro

It is not compatible with flash but rather an alternative mechanism for
running content in a similar fashion to flash.   It actually runs a i386
elf executable in a sandbox and a custom int $80 API to interface to the
browser.   That way many existing tools can be adapted to generated
content for the plugin.

I have been developing it with the XO in mind and it performs well
in-browser on XO-1 hardware.

Here's a clip jumping to the 2:40 mark where it shows the plugin in
action on my XO-1.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58UmxHryq8E#t=2m40s

With my experience of flash on the XO, doing a display with a similar
number of moving entities in a swf would be extremely chuggy.

Significantly, as an open source project. If there is something that
this plugin doesn't do well (which is a number of things because it is
in its infancy). Anyone is able to make the required improvements.