New XO-1.5 10.2.0 build 112

Benjamin M. Schwartz bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu
Mon Mar 15 18:48:03 EDT 2010

Mikus Grinbergs wrote:
>> ... there is only one way to make the system
>> reliable, and that is to implement power saving via Cpuidle.
>
> My concern is that it might be difficult to "tune" Cpuidle to
> distinguish between "non-essential" processing (which could tolerate
> suspending) versus background activity whose completion the user is
> nevertheless awaiting (and which should preferably avoid suspending).

As far as I know it is impossible.  Daniel Drake, I think, put tremendous
effort into fixing our userspace, so that no non-essential wakeups occur
at all.  This, I think, is the best solution.

> I use ethernet rather than wireless.  Historically, my systems have
> suspended despite an ongoing (via ethernet) data transfer -- that's why
> at home (when my XOs are plugged in to AC) I disable suspend.  I am
> doubtful whether Cpuidle would consider the small amount of CPU
> processing involved with handling ethernet packet interrupts as
> exceeding whatever "idle threshold" it has been designed to recognize.

It doesn't have an idle threshold.  If the kernel were correctly
configured, bringing up your usb ethernet connection would automatically
prevent suspend.

--Ben