XO-1.5 keyboard

John Gilmore gnu at toad.com
Fri Mar 5 17:18:24 EST 2010

> :-)  you're right -- it _is_ awesome.  wad seems to have mastered
> the art of getting the laptop to really go together right after
> the conversion.

One of the things I asked wad to improve when he was looking for
things to fix for the XO-1.5 was the incredible flakey keyboard.
Everyone knows when I type an email message on an XO, because it's
always so full of typos that it's just not worth going back to fix
them all.  One of my XOs has a CTRL key that would press itself at
random intervals, which was really fun under Sugar.  One would think
that a keyboard designer would make very sure that the shift-keys were
more reliable than the letter keys (since they get pressed a lot more
often), but in the XO-1 it was the opposite.  I eventually tried to
batter my way through the alleged OLPC parts-and-repair process (and
failed); but somebody nice took pity on me and mailed me a spare

Wad said improving the keyboard wasn't on the main program for 1.5 but
he'd see what he could do.  Did anything happen?