Wake on ARP support on XO-1: libertas documentation

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-ui-sugar-olpc-devel at silbe.org
Mon Mar 15 10:20:30 EDT 2010

Hi!

I've recently been trying to add Wake-on-ARP support (using the ethtool
interface) for the XO-1. I failed badly: no wake happened at all (not
even unicast) and a libertas reset was required after resume.
Is there any reliable documentation about how to configure wakeup packet
filters on our version (*) of libertas?

The libertas documentation [1] specifies a simple extension to
CMD_802_11_HOST_SLEEP_CFG, but for 88W8385 and 88W8399 only (XO-1 has
88W8388). The current driver in the OLPC kernel has code that looks a
lot like the one in OLPC#6993 [2], though the iwpriv part is missing.
I based my code on the patch and examples from #6993, but as mentioned
it (non-permanently) kills the 8388; apparently as soon as I pass a
non-NULL p_wol_config to lbs_host_sleep_cfg().
Also I don't understand how the examples were constructed: The location
part of the signature matches neither IEEE 802.11 data frames nor IEEE
802.2 ethernet frames. Does libertas use some custom internal
representation for received frames and if so, what does it look like?

(*) I'm using usb8388-5.110.22.p23.bin, md5sum
5e38f55719df3d0c58dd3bd02575a09c, from
http://dev.laptop.org/pub/firmware/libertas/
[1]
http://wiki.laptop.org/images/f/f3/Firmware-Spec-v5.1-MV-S103752-00.pdf