q3a35 problem

Paul Fox pgf at laptop.org
Fri Mar 12 07:33:44 EST 2010

reuben k caron wrote:

 > On Mar 12, 2010, at 12:52 AM, Mikus Grinbergs <mikus at bga.com> wrote:
 >

 > > You also said "If the firmware update wasn't happening (say, due to no
 > > DC input)".  But what I posted to you in this thread was: "What I do
 > > is
 > > to wait while 'flash u:\q3a35.rom' steps through writing, then steps
 > > through verifying, then restarts the XO-1.5."  I would expect that if
 > > there were no DC input, then the 'flash' command would not display the
 > > "writing" and "veifying" countdowns on the console -- I believe I am
 > > justified in thinking the firmware update *was* happening.
 > >

 > > Again - please tell me WHAT MORE a user performing a firmware reflash
 > > can do "to ensure that the firmware reflash actually occurred" ?
 >
 > On reboot press the x key (esc) to get to open firmware and check the
 > ofw banner at the top of the screen.

if mikus is flashing the firmare manually, and observes all the
steps (through "verifying") happening correctly, then all that
stopping at the next reboot to check the resulting banner
accomplishes is double-checking that he flashed the right file.
(not that there's no value in that, but it's not going to catch a
h/w or s/w programming error.)

paul
 paul fox, pgf at laptop.org