resizing rootfs to fit the disk

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 18:45:23 EST 2010

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 6:27 PM, Paul Fox <pgf at laptop.org> wrote:
> you're assuming there needs to be such a flag.  attempting to
> resize an already right-sized filesystem probably takes less time
> than checking a flag

Not only time / cpu burn but... I'd say it's less risky... once resize
completed with a sane exit code, mark it as done and stop running
resize every boot.

> but again:  where should such a flag go?  is there a precedent
> for such things?

/.i-am-a-hidden-flag ?

>  > Chris wants to generate a single image that is chock-full with as many
>  > sample activities as we can fit. It is a veritable squeeze for the
>  > sub-2GB image and will probably trigger the warning.
>
> i'm not sure you've changed my argument.  you've just pointed out
> that i should have it with chris, too.  ;-)

No... I think that what Chris needs to do -- a "stock" image that fits
in slightly less than 2GB -- is a reasonable use case that is not the
"mainstream" case. It is good for developers, and for "limited
techteam" deployments.

But it barely fits on a 2GB disk and the "partition size" we ship it
in will have it pretty tight.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions