resizing rootfs to fit the disk

Paul Fox pgf at laptop.org
Wed Mar 10 17:55:35 EST 2010

martin wrote:
 > On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 10:52 PM, Chris Ball <cjb at laptop.org> wrote:
 > > So, I'd say go ahead with this plan -- resize on first boot, but after
 > > userspace is up and running (and if it fails, try it again until it
 > > succeeds?).  And, of course, we should test power loss during resize
 > > some more.
 >
 > Sounds reasonable to me.
 >
 >  - There should be a flag for devs / deployment teams to disable it.

martin -- can you remind me of the use case for this flag?  and,
since i'm confident you'll make a very compelling case, can you
tell me where such a flag should appear, and/or what it should
look like?

 >  - With some added bundles, there is the risk that our Journal-is-full
 > warning might appear on first boot; maybe it should not appear or use
 > a lower threshold until the "resize complete" flag is set.

i'd say that if they're that close to filling the disk, the
filesystem size should be made larger at build time.  the only
reason not to do that is if the target disk is very small, and if
it's that small, then they've added too many bundles.

paul
 paul fox, pgf at laptop.org