aggressive suspend and yum...

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 11:12:15 EST 2010

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 11:02 AM, Chris Ball <cjb at laptop.org> wrote:
>   > wake-on-lan doesn't keep you from suspending -- it just brings
>   > you back.
>
> But that should be fine, right?  I don't mind whether there's a
> super-short suspend during the download of my file, as long as we
> resume straight away and continue the download.  I got the impression
> from Martin's mail that he's dropping into suspend and then staying
> there, so his download doesn't progress.  (Maybe that's not what he
> was trying to say, though.)

That is exactly what is happening. I have a recent build (olpc-build
states "10.2.0").

Just wol would fix this use case (yum, firefox downloads, etc) -- I
guess with the wakeup _not_ triggering screen brightness up-and-down.
Otherwise it'll be a strobelight ;-)

So perhaps there is no need for counting packets on eth0.

Paul's olpc-nosleep is also great to have for whatever scripts that
don't trigger teh "cpu or io are busy, don't sleep" thresholds.

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions