Cairo's slow rendering on XO-1 (was: olpcgames - mainloop bug help)

Wade Brainerd wadetb at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 10:10:12 EDT 2010

I developed a couple of activities using Cairo that I later ported to
other drawing solutions.

One is Bounce (a three dimensional Pong game).

git://git.sugarlabs.org/bounce/mainline.git

I didn't tag it, but commit 7b7abf5 was the last version using cairo.
I'll likely port this to Sugargame when I find time.

Another is Yay! Bee See, an alphabet program for younger children.

git://dev.laptop.org/users/wadeb/yay-bee-see

I've been working on porting this to Sugargame too, and adding editing
features (e.g. the ability to replace the images and sounds for each
letter, and to save to the journal)

For a time, Typing Turtle used cairo to render its keyboard with
overlaid hand SVGs.

git://git.sugarlabs.org/typing-turtle/mainline.git

The last version to use cairo was v5.  I switched to caching bitmap
images of each key and the hand overlays to make the keyboard keep up
while typing at a reasonable pace.

All of these would probably make a pretty good cairo performance tests
on XO-1.

-Wade