[Sugar-devel] Removing 'share' option from activites that don't know how to share

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 24 16:23:29 EDT 2010

On 24 Jun 2010, at 16:20, Martin Langhoff <martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:

> Talking with the PerĂº team a few days ago about F11/S0.84 (both on
> xo-1.5 and xo-1)
>
> Teachers and testers were very confused with the 'share' option in
> activities where sharing does nothing, or is seriously buggy. To avoid
> confusing users, they are looking into removing the 'share' option
> from most activities.
>
> This is practical and executive for them short-term; of course the
> right fix is for activities do call up the 'share' option only where
> actual sharing code exists and is known to work...
>
> What is the right fix? Do we want a list of activities where it should
> be removed, and prod the maintainers, and only file bugs for those
> that don't respond soonish?

Making a list of the offenders and posting would be a start, but remember to state the release you are targeting/testing. Here's a likely large chunk of the problem...

For Sugar 0.86 and above the new toolbars will disable the sharing UI with:

    self.max_participants = 1

For Sugar 0.82 the trick was:

    activity_toolbar = toolbox.get_activity_toolbar()
    activity_toolbar.share.props.visible = False

For Sugar 0.84 the trick seems to be:

    activity_toolbar = toolbox.get_activity_toolbar()
    activity_toolbar.share.hide()

I've not noticed an elegant way to detect Sugar versions other than try: except: clauses around some newer modules, with fallback to 0.82 code. Anyone point to a specific activity doing this type of thing nicely?

Regards,
--Gary