[Sugar-devel] Keep confusion -- round N+1

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 24 13:35:39 EDT 2010

On 24 Jun 2010, at 09:45, NoiseEHC <NoiseEHC at freemail.hu> wrote:

>> After making tests [1] in deployments for "start new"
>> vs. "resume" we concluded that the way activity starting works on the
>> iPhone would probably work well in Sugar, too [2].
>>

> Hehe, this is exactly the thing you would get with per-activity
> datastores. Guess what, Android does this too. :) Not to mention that an
> object chooser for pictures could be totally different from an object
> chooser for ftp sessions for example.

Well, 'per-activity data stores' sounds like a large rewrite for the data-store, Journal, and every activity... i.e. not very likely. The 'start new vs. resume' design tries to provides a similar work flow but with minimal possible changes - it's pretty close to just moving the current hover palette functionality into a larger object chooser type dialogue. Hmmm, I wonder if we could/should augment the object chooser to also cover this case?

Also worth taking note that the Apple iOS approach of letting the app deal 100% with the presentation of files/objects gives a real mixed bag of different attempts from each app developer, some do great work, others are rather confusing/weak, some don't bother at all. There is certainly little consistency when using one app vs. another, you have to re-learn what features are available and where the developer decided to place them.

Regards,
--Gary