#10171 LOW Not Tri: MathGraph32 launch violates convention (was: os125 - launching of MathGraph32 Activity is confusing for the user)

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Thu Jun 3 23:28:19 EDT 2010

On Thu, Jun 03, 2010 at 11:59:58PM -0300, Marcos Orfila wrote:
> I think the problem is in the way I'm starting both apps. The Python
> app stops immediately and the Java app takes a while to start. I don't
> really know how to solve that correctly. I can think of many ways, but
> none of them is elegant :-)

Without looking at your code ... have the Python program fork a new
process to execute the Java program, have the Python program wait for
some evidence [1] from the Java program, and then close the original
window.

This would at least let you say "loading, please wait", and might have
some effect on how Sugar responds.

The best way would be to have the Java program window be a child of the
Python program window, in a similar way that browser plugins work.

Footnote.

1.  evidence might include output on stdout, an interprocess signal via
kill(2), a message sent via the X server, polling for the existence of a
new window, or loss of visibility of the PyGTK window.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/