[IAEP] Redesigning: Library, Read, Get-Books, and Content bundles

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 20:17:10 EDT 2010

Daniel,

I like the ideas you posted there.  I left some specific comments:
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Talk:Features/Content_support

Reuben:
>> -Allow one to synchronously or asynchronously share
>> a book to their
>> Neighborhood so anyone can download and read it.

I don't know how synchronous would work - but that sounds like a
feature for bookreaders.

Asynchronously, there are regular requests for both a "share [file]
with [target]" feature
   http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/8171

and a way to share public Journal items constantly while online; as
comes up in both "global shared datastore" and "share files over the
mesh" discussions.
http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/3431

SJ

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 4:29 PM, Daniel Drake <dsd at laptop.org> wrote:
> On 20 July 2010 12:33, Reuben K. Caron <reuben at laptop.org> wrote:
>> So what if we created a "Library Activity"
>> The activity would:
>> -Open a book from within the activity
>> -Highlight and annotate books
>> -List all of the books you have downloaded
>> -Allow you to search and download additional books from Feed Books,
>> Internet Archive, the XS, etc..
>> -List the resources in /home/olpc/Library (so this can be removed from
>> Browse)
>> -Allow one to synchronously or asynchronously share a book to their
>> Neighborhood so anyone can download and read it.
>
> I'd argue that some of this is duplication of functionality that
> belongs (or already is) in the Journal and the Read activity, having
> such a design might kill some UI complications but add others.
>
> Parts of your concerns could be addressed with some ideas I wrote here:
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Content_support#Accessing_content_from_home_screen
>
> I agree that this definitely merits further design/discussion.
>
> Daniel

Samuel Klein          identi.ca:sj           w:user:sj