os206 - slow data transfers

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Thu Jul 22 00:33:20 EDT 2010

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 10:47:11PM -0500, Mikus Grinbergs wrote:
> > Use of iperf on a local network can be easily reproduced, however.
>
> I'm sorry - what I am interested in is how quickly I can download a new
> build to the XO with my existing setup -- I am NOT interested in how
> well a special-purpose tool (iperf) performs on my existing LAN.

Yes, I understand.  I've had to subvert my interests in order to be
balanced, fair and reproducible in my testing.  So that I can isolate
the cause of unusual observations.

> Anyway - running iperf with an XO-1 as the iperf server:
>
> My throughput numbers are 1/10 (or even less) of Quozl's.  [Even though
> the ethernet switch(es) on my LAN are advertised as 100Mb, I've never
> gotten high throughput rates on that LAN.]
>
> By the end of a period of testing, the throughput to the XO-1.5 client
> was only 3% slower than the throughput to the XO-1 client.  The 'top'
> values for (wa) and (hi) were zero for the iperf clients.  The only
> difference was the (sy) value - 6% for the XO-1.5 client, 2% for the
> XO-1 client.

Thanks.  It sounds like one of the USB to Ethernet adapters has
negotiated with the ethernet switch for the lower supported speed of
10Mbit/sec.

Given that we've only one data point at 100Mbit/sec ... mine, I don't
know this slow data transfer is a problem yet.  I'm interested in
hearing from others on it.  My observations could easily be explained as
an interaction between a particular device and the newer XO-1.5
hardware.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/