camera ribbon

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Sun Jul 18 22:13:25 EDT 2010

On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 06:44:23AM -0700, Yioryos Asprobounitis wrote:
> So every time you plug something in this port (I use it almost 95% of
> the time) you actually wiggle the camera housing. This, I m assuming,
> results in the ribbon detachment.

Yes.

The flexing varies.

A way to measure this is to set the laptop back against a solid surface,
anchor it down with one hand, connect a passive USB cable, and wiggle
the plug while Record is showing a camera preview.  Although the degree
of movement is tiny, the camera amplifies it.

On XO-1.5 the flexing seems much less than on XO-1.

That particular USB port is the most popular because:

1.  it is on the right-hand side and most people are right-handed,

2.  it is the only port that allows the polarity of the connector on the
device to be visible from the normal operating position during the
action of plugging it in,

3.  most USB devices with indicator LEDs make them visible from the end
or the top face, so it is the only port that presents the top face of
the device to the user.

I suggest that once you've finished testing your adhesive tape fix that
you consider using the other ports.  ;-)

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/