[IAEP] Announce: OLPC software strategy.

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Tue Jul 13 09:05:13 EDT 2010

> why would you want to know what tickets were closed
> as part of work toward a particular release?

Let me give an answer from the user's perspective (I'm seconding what
Martin's response said):

Consider build 800 versus build 802.  Suppose I as an user had a problem
on build 767 which prevented me from accomplishing a task.  If that task
was important to me, I would have liked to know if build 800 would
already let me perform that task, or if I had to wait for build 802.
Release notes list significant bugs fixed - but not all the bugs fixed.
 If build 800 had a different version number from build 802 (I forget if
that was actually the case), I should be able to look up the ticket and
see in which version that fix got released to users.

In this regard, sometimes a developer marks a ticket as "fixed" as soon
as he delivers a commit.  But that ticket status does not help the user
- not until that fix gets incorporated into a build which gets into the
user's hands.  I think that a problem ticket closed as 'fixed' should
identify the particular release where the fix was made available.

mikus