[IAEP] Announce: OLPC software strategy.

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Sun Jul 11 21:05:45 EDT 2010

On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 8:45 PM, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
> Use 1.x-software-update for tickets you plan to have fixed for the next
> release.  (Choose these tickets based on the intent of the release).

Ok.

That's not how Trac is designed to work, however. And not how most
(all minus olpc? ;-) ) use it.

You are using the milestones as a "sliding window", so
'sofrware-update' means "whatever the next release is".

> Use 1.x-software-later for tickets you intend to delay until after the
> next release.  (Choose these tickets where the effort required exceeds
> the available time and there are more important tickets).

So everytime we have a release you reset all the 1.x-software-later
tickets to 1.x-software-update?

That is literally backwards from the normal usage.

By using it this way we completely miss the ability to query trac thus:

 - show me the changelog for 10.1.1 (status=closed and milestone=10.1.1)

 - what release was bug X fixed in? (all tasks are fixed in 'software-update'!)

Why don't we use it in the way it was designed to be used...? Might
even work ;-)

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions