USB2VGA adapters on XO-1.5 (and XO-1 with F11 images)

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 17:00:11 EDT 2010

Consider this a draft for updating our wikipage, or even better a script...

So - starting with the F9 procedure at
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Adding_USB_SVGA

 - Kernel module is now in our build (sisusbvga.ko) - this simplifies
life enormously

 - Fedora repos have an appropriate x11 driver (again, this makes life
easy) so just

   yum install x11vnc tigervnc xorg-x11-drv-sisvga

 - in /etc/X11, backup your xorg-xo1.5-dcon.conf and then add the
following sections

   Section "ServerLayout"
     Identifier "usbvgamirror"
     Screen 0 "ScreenUSBVGA" 0 0
     InputDevice "DummyMouse" "CorePointer"
     InputDevice "DummyKB" "CoreKeyboard"
   EndSection

   Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "DummyKB"
    Driver "void"
    Option "CoreKeyboard"
   EndSection

   Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "DummyMouse"
    Driver "void"
    Option "CorePointer"
   EndSection

   Section "Monitor"
     Identifier "MonitorUSBVGA"
     ModelName "Anything"
     Option "DPMS"
   EndSection

  Section "Device"
    Identifier "CardUSBVGA"
    Driver "sisusb"
    Option "DisconnectTimeout "5"
  EndSection

  Section "Screen"
    Identifier "ScreenUSBVGA"
    Device "CardUSBVGA"
    Monitor "MonitorUSBVGA"
    DefaultDepth 16
    SubSection "Display"
      Depth 24
      Modes "800x600"
    EndSubSection
  EndSection

--

Now, we need to run the following shellscript from Terminal.xo as root:

#!/bin/bash

x11vnc -display :0 -scale 800x600 -localhost -viewonly -once -timeout 10 &
sleep 3
xinit /usr/bin/vncviewer -FullScreen localhost -- :1 -sharevts -layout
sisusbvgamirror -br -dpms

And it works. There are repaint issues, and it's a bit laggy, but it
works pretty nice.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions