Touchpad accel, spirals and xset

Paul Fox pgf at laptop.org
Tue Jan 19 17:39:01 EST 2010

martin wrote:
 > On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 10:52 PM, Paul Fox <pgf at laptop.org> wrote:
 >
 > > okay, i've now done so, and i now think i see what you mean about
 > >    xset m 7/4 0
 > > vs.
 > >    xset m 7/4 1
 >
 > ok - glad that I'm not so crazy ;-)
 >

 > > i think setting acceleration to 7/4 as we're doing is a little
 > > aggressive, and i might choose a slightly smaller value (e.g.,
 > > 165 or 160/100 instead of 175/100) -- this is just one guy's
 > > opinion.  but i certainly agree now that the threshold arg should
 > > be '0'.
 >
 > Ok. How does t165/100 test? So far we have suggested tests:
 >
 >  - spirals test
 >  - using etoys / scratch

this afternoon i was using spirals in Paint for low-speed maneuvering,
and judging straight line performance by trying to get a quick sweep
of the finger to move the cursor the whole way across the screen, but
not more than that -- i.e., it shouldn't always get pinned to the edge
of the screen, but often stop short.  very subjective, i know.

and, i was mostly testing without trying to force touchpad malfunction,
for instance by letting another finger touch the pad.  i'm still convinced
that the new driver behavior is better than the old in the face of
the touchpad malfunctioning -- and the xset tuning is really orthogonal
to that in any case.

paul
 paul fox, pgf at laptop.org