Touchpad accel, spirals and xset

Paul Fox pgf at laptop.org
Tue Jan 19 10:39:03 EST 2010

martin wrote:
 > On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 8:47 PM, Paul Fox <pgf at laptop.org> wrote:
 > >  > According to the man page the 2nd parameter is the threshold at which
 > >  > the acceleration value is applied so I'm not surprised that you don't
 > >  > see any difference between 0 and 1.  Even 4 might be hard to see.  I
 > >  > think that to see a difference for fine motor this value will have be in
 > >  > the 5 to 10 range.
 >
 > Right -- I did apply Paul's recommendations. The manpage isn't
 > necesarily going to know all the interactions between our TP, kernel
 > driver and xorg input driver. Experimentation and source review carry
 > more weight.
 >
 > I assume Paul did both -- he's been looking at this for a while.
 >
 > Now, in my experimentation with the values he supplied, it did not
 > make any difference.
 >
 > > martin isn't seeing a difference, which surprises me, because i
 > > definitely saw a difference between 0 and 1.  from the wiki page
 >
 > Ok. Gentlemen, maybe it's a better idea to grab 2 XOs, setup 802 on
 > one, 802B1 on the other, and run a quick test with the stock settings,
 > and other settings you think might help.

now that i'm in the office, i can do exactly that today.

 > Also, Paul, did you get any response from deployments on whether the
 > new kernel + xset values improved noticeably on the jumpyness?

i'm afraid i've gotten not much feedback at all.  and what i did
get was nothing much more than "it didn't make it worse".  :-/
i also hoped to get feedback from the folks running F11-on-XO1,
since they're all using the new driver as well (and, i think the
new xset values, but i'm not positive of that), but don't recall
getting any.

using my own XO, i feel that it's better, but i'm way too familiar
with the code, and the exact nature of the touchpad problems, to
be objective. :-/  (my wife agrees with me, but she's hopefully
not completely impartial either.  ;-)

paul
 paul fox, pgf at laptop.org