Touchpad accel, spirals and xset

Richard A. Smith richard at laptop.org
Mon Jan 18 13:43:12 EST 2010

On 01/18/2010 01:31 PM, Martin Langhoff wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 6:46 PM, Richard A. Smith<richard at laptop.org>  wrote:
>> What you see as a regression I see as an enhancement.  My evidence is based
>> on what deployments/pilots talk about when they come give reports at 1cc.
>>   When we talk about touchpad problems it often mentioned that the children
>> have a hard time positioning the pointer in general due to the fine motor
>> control it takes.
>
> What I mean is that there is no change (AFAICS) on slow-motion
> control, so cursor positioning when moving slowly or mid-speed is
> exactly as hard as it was.
>
> Fast swipes won't give you precision with neither value.

Ok.  So then the settings are still open.

So the task now becomes:

Find someone with kids and figure out whats the best settings for them.

> Paul has provided them the exact kernel I am shipping, and the
> settings I am using. The emails I've seen from Juliano are not
> conclusive -- but maybe Paul has gotten more concrete feedback.

> If there is reasonably solid feedback that 7/4 1 is better, I'll take
> it of course. But so far... well, we just don't have much evidence.

Most of the feedback on that was all wrt jumpyness behavior.  I suggest
we re-ask with the focus on fine motor movement and have them try a few
different xset values.

--
Richard A. Smith  <richard at laptop.org>
One Laptop per Child