[Sugar-devel] New release of F11 for the XO-1 - Build11

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Thu Jan 14 12:25:21 EST 2010

Hi, just a clarification:

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 21:41, Yuan Chao <yuanchao at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 3:50 AM, Stanley Sokolow <overbyte at earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> 2GB SD card in my XO, and I have Firefox on it.   I installed the ePubReader
>> plug-in for Firefox.   This runs nicely and allows you to view eBooks in
>> ePub format, which is the up-and-coming open format for books.   You can
> This comes back to an old issue: though the browser activity on XO is based on
> xulRunner, which is of the same engine as Firefox, it doesn't support
> plug-ins. I recall
> there were some efforts been done, but not sure what's the latest progress?

Browse does support all plugins that Firefox supports. What you might
be meaning is extensions (addons). Depending on what extends a
particular extension, it can work in Browse. If the extension extends
mechanics not specific to Firefox (such as Google Gears) then it will
work in Browse as well. If it extends functionality only in Firefox,
then it won't work in Browse.

Some info on extensions:
http://blog.tomeuvizoso.net/2009/05/installing-mozilla-addons-in-sugars.html

> There were some efforts to use webkit as Browser activity back-end,
> also no progress
> afterwards?

My understanding is that every time that work on a Webkit backend has
restarted, the measured benefits haven't been so big because all the
major browser are playing catch up with each other.

If someone could clearly articulate the benefits of switching to
webkit, maybe we could do it one day.

Regards,

Tomeu

> BTW, with the rotation bug fixed, I noticed that the Browser (and
> Firefox) activity do
> respect the screen orientation such that the cursor keys are
> "rotated". It's also a bit
> un-natural that the game buttons doesn't rotate the page up/down mappings.
> However, for 90 and 270 degree orientation, the cursor key mapping are
> in wrong parity,
> while it's correct for 0 and 180 degree. Where should I issue this
> bug? system or activity?
>
> BTW, have you tried 'yum install fbreader'?
>

>> On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 5:14 PM, rihoward1 at gmail.com <rihoward1 at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Some quick observations on  F11 for the XO-1 - Build11.

>>  <stuff deleted here>
>>>
>>> Gnome Desktop mode:
>>> In previous builds Midori was used as the web browser in gnome now Firefox
>>> is being pulled in.  Is this an intentional change or a side effect of
>>> changing the build system?  Midori is general considered to use less
>>> resources than Firefox.

> --
> Best regards,
> Yuan Chao