Modifying olpc-kbdshim for simplicity

Paul Fox pgf at laptop.org
Fri Jan 8 22:57:27 EST 2010

james wrote:
 > With the 20100107 kernel power management seems to work just
 > fine in f11 xo-1 os10.  I am working on a project called
 > Deborah which is a debian system with lxde for the xo-1
 > borrowing heavily from f11 for the xo-1.  It's coming along
 > nicely and I think it works pretty well but I still have to
 > get power management working properly.  I'm using powerd which
 > relies on olpc-kbdshim to report keyboard and trackpad
 > inactivity.  Unfortunately kbdshim also does alot of other
 > things that I don't want or need.  The volume and brightness
 > keys already work fine without kbdshim, for instance.  I want
 > to use kbdshim but disable all of its functions execpt
 > reporting keyboard and trackpad inactivity.  Is there an easy
 > way to do this.  I don't know enough yet about how kbdshim
 > works to figure this out.  Great work, I'm very impressed with
 > f11 for the xo-1.

the volume and brightness functions can be disabled or changed
simply by specifying a different (or by not specifying a) script
to be run -- see the usage message, and modify the hal startup
file accordingly.  other than those features, i think the rest (i.e.,
grab keys, etc) is all-or-nothing (without modifying the source, of
course).

paul
 paul fox, pgf at laptop.org