The Saga Continues

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Sun Feb 21 10:46:52 EST 2010

Disclaimer:  I am not asking for help.  I'm just sharing my experiences.

The http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/9945 problem shows up in the latest
Activity versions from SugarLabs - now in Flip Sticks-4 as well as in
Cartoon Builder-9 and in Speak-12.  [Note:  I *download* Activities
using a different machine than the one I *install* the Activities in.]

I believe that the intent of the new code in these Activities is to
fetch additional modules from a server if those prerequisite "services"
have not been installed in the environment in which the Activity is
being launched.

For myself, I do not believe that the target environment for using OLPCs
should involve "calling home" (to a server on the internet) for missing
pieces.  Although these new Activity versions are described as fitting
Sugar versions 0.82 - 0.88, I do not think they are suited to the OLPC.

mikus