[ANNOUNCE] Tiny Core Linux for XO-1 and XO-1.5

Yioryos Asprobounitis mavrothal at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 12 04:33:49 EST 2010

Builds of Tiny Core Linux for the XO-1 are available here
http://ftp.cc.uoc.gr/mirrors/linux/TinyCore_for_XO1/

tinycore_xo.tar.bz2 is just the kernel and a Xfbdev
tc_xo_with_apps.tar.bz2 includes Opera and some basic apps and
tc_xo_mm.tar.bz2 includes alsa xmms and vlc
They are all configured to save home data in the boot USB stick though the first one is problematic. Increase "usbwait" to 10 in /boot/olpc.fth for better reliability.

They are all based in James Cameron's script ( http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/devel/2010-January/027364.html ) but have a rebuild olpc-2.6.31 kernel from git, patched for Aufs2 with the Aufs2-standalone git patch and sources for 2.6.31. They also use the tinycore instead of microcore initrd (VARIANT=tinycore in JC's script). The /boot/olpc.fth was modified post-building as included in the builds

Besides Aufs2 the differences from the standard xo_1_defconfig are

CONFIG_SQUASHFS=m
# CONFIG_SQUASHFS_EMBEDDED is not set
CONFIG_SQUASHFS_FRAGMENT_CACHE_SIZE=3
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP=y
CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_437=m

Though likely not relevant the Aufs2 .config additions are
CONFIG_AUFS_FS=m
CONFIG_AUFS_BRANCH_MAX_127=y
# CONFIG_AUFS_BRANCH_MAX_511 is not set
# CONFIG_AUFS_BRANCH_MAX_1023 is not set
# CONFIG_AUFS_BRANCH_MAX_32767 is not set
# CONFIG_AUFS_HINOTIFY is not set
# CONFIG_AUFS_RDU is not set
# CONFIG_AUFS_SP_IATTR is not set
# CONFIG_AUFS_SHWH is not set
CONFIG_AUFS_BR_RAMFS=y
# CONFIG_AUFS_BR_FUSE is not set
CONFIG_AUFS_BDEV_LOOP=y
# CONFIG_AUFS_DEBUG is not set

The .config file is here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?mode=attach&id=25478&sid=f59fb3fdfe7b73568611ab65da240405

The original Tinycore-XO vmlinuz and tinycore.gz was build on an XO-1 running the above kernel and F11-XO1/os10 build. The actual script is here http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/devel/attachments/20100130/477bfec7/attachment.bin

The rest of the packages are from the tinycore repository unmodified except alsa.
For the sound subsystem the
alsa-modules-2.6.29.1-tinycore.tcz
input-2.6.29.1-tinycore.tcz
Dependencies where eliminated from the alsa.tcz.dep file before installation and the:
mv /etc/udev/rules.d/25-alsa.rules /etc/udev/rules.d/92-alsa.rules
sh /usr/local/etc/init.d/alsasound start
lines where added to the /opt/bootlocal.sh file

Power management and OLPC keys are not working and a proper geode display driver is missing (is running with Xfbdev)

Help is appreciated :)