Need in Haiti: inexpensive portable projectors for OLPC/XO classrooms

Mr frÿffffffffffe9dÿffffffffffe9ric pouchal fred260571 at yahoo.fr
Thu Feb 4 05:17:55 EST 2010

--- On Thu, 2/4/10, Adam Holt <holt at laptop.org> wrote:

> From: Adam Holt <holt at laptop.org>
> Subject: Re: Need in Haiti: inexpensive portable projectors for OLPC/XO classrooms
> To: "Mr frÿffffffffffe9dÿffffffffffe9ric pouchal" <fred260571 at yahoo.fr>
> Cc: devel at lists.laptop.org, "Support Gangsters" <support-gang at laptop.org>, olpc-haiti at lists.laptop.org, "IAEP" <iaep at lists.sugarlabs.org>
> Date: Thursday, February 4, 2010, 1:50 AM
> Mr frÿffffffffffe9dÿffffffffffe9ric
> pouchal wrote:
> > RoyalTek RPJ-2000 Pico Projector and a usb-to-vga
> (sisusb) card work perfectly well
> >
> > http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Adding_USB_SVGA
> >
> > http://www.royaltek.com/
> >
> > the projector is 640x480 , Osram’s LED that last
> over 20000 hours , 3M optical engine (second version) as its
> projection source = same image quality than 3M MPro150 ,
> fanless , vga and composite input , 14 lumens : you need
> (almost) black room like in a cinema , 65” maximal
> projection screen size , - 100-240V 50/60Hz 0.5A or 5V 2A
> >
> > I paid 219 Euro for mine
> >
> > you may have problems watching movies due to the
> usb-to-vga card = the bandwidth is not that good . For
> example with my olpc XO-1 I can run quake2 fullscreen only
> at 400x300 ( with no latency )
> >
> > combined with an ipod you can watch movies at DVD
> quality
> >

> Sweet!
>
> Can anybody confirm XO Laptops' "1200x900" resolution gets
> converted
> cleanly to "640x480" when projected from Sugar?
>
> For example, can the Binaries here at
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Adding_USB_SVGA#Binaries help
> any teacher fire
> up her/his class without much hassle?
> (In this case, on OLPC Software Release 8.2.1 = Build 802 =
> Sugar 0.82)

I use a debian 5.02 lenny stable linux that I modified to run on my olpc

My window manager is lxde and I had to modify xorg.conf ( not too complicated ) , but the resolution was 900x600 so I had to run lxrandr to modify the screen resoltuion to 640x480 ( very easy )

By the way I used the Binaries you mentionned
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Adding_USB_SVGA#Binaries
I do not use sugar , sorry