10.1.3 without GNOME

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Tue Dec 28 20:04:49 EST 2010

On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 11:26:51AM -0800, Sameer Verma wrote:
> Will there be a version of 10.1.3 without GNOME, a la Dextrose
> releases ?

I can't speak for the release engineer, but I haven't seen any announced
intention to do this.  You might customise instead, see below.

> We hope to use 10.1.3 in Jamaica for two schools (115 XO 1.5 units + 2
> schoolservers) but we don't want to use GNOME or make that option
> available.

Both 10.1.2 and 10.1.3 can be customised to remove the switch to GNOME
feature:

	# rpm -e olpc-switch-desktop

... and as a result it won't be offered in the control panel.  I've
tested this with 10.1.2 and it works fine.  To deploy this customisation
and any others to 115 XO-1.5 units, prepare an image:

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Imaging_for_XO-1.5

... then use NANDblaster to broadcast to the other units:

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Nandblaster_for_XO-1.5

(However, this method will not work so easily if you have ordered the
laptops with security enabled.  Do not order with security enabled
unless you are also able to sustain the associated effort; of making
deployment keys and managing the necessary infrastructure.  The extra
steps in the above procedure are injecting your deployment keys into the
laptops if that wasn't done at factory, signing the clone, and then
using nb-secure in place of nb-update).

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/