USB to VGA

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 09:50:28 EST 2010

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 7:53 AM, Kevin Gordon <kgordon420 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I cant seem to get Xrandr to turn the external off and return control to the
> XO display when the XO is running.  The output of xrandr only shows that

Correct. xrandr cannot control 2 video cards. It can control 1 video
card with more than one video output, which is what you find in most
laptops/netbooks,

So what we do is we change xorg.conf to completely disable the
internal screen. This is completely on purpose.

If you want to revert to the earlier behaviour, download one of the
earlier olpc-utils rpm from my personal repo
http://dev.laptop.org/~martin/public_rpms/f11

But let's look at this from the PoV of our end users. Think teachers,
think OLPC's own learning team. They don't know a thing about xrandr
-- they need a clear procedure, and it is: plug the usb2vga device,
restart, and it just works.

> I have verified that if I accidentally unplug the external monitor then plug
> it back in, it does come back up; but, it appears to need a little
> kick-start tap on the trackpad or a key to synch back up to the right

yeah - many things need a touch on the TP to get the driver to wake
up. It's a bug in the driver, reported.

Can you report your success in our testing page?
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/10.1.3/Testing#USB2VGA_Adapter_usage

> One other thing I need to check further is that the XO 1.0 seems to have a
> sluggish keyboard echo response to the screen when plugged into the external
> monitor. sometimes when I'm tapping a sentence it pauses for up to 2 seconds
> before echoing back the text.  I need to check more closely that it is
> purely ext monitor related, I think.

Check if it's not the touchpad-wiggle-to-refresh-screen. I get that
all the time in Terminal -- I type "ls<enter>" quickly and somtimes
the commandline doesn't appear, or the whole output doesn't appear.
Until I wiggle the mouse.

> Lastly, we use cheese, and doing a successful yum install cheese on an
> out-of-the-box XO1 with 358 took .75 hours.

Offtopic but I'll say: umount /var/cache/yum . Without that every yum
update must download a big chunk from the internet (60MB?).

> So please me any hints, requests, demands, orders or feel free to hurl
> invective at my amateurish methods.  I'm game, and I know that your clock is
> ticking .

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/10.1.3/Testing page has the goods.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com