quick start info for kernel related bugs/fixes

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Thu Aug 26 14:28:23 EDT 2010

On 26 August 2010 04:30,  <initpidzero at aim.com> wrote:
> I am looking for some info for getting started.
> Firstly are there any patches/fixes which we need to get from upstream
> kernel, which are to be ported(or backported) to olpc kernel.

I don't think there are any of these pending.

> Or may be
> there are patches/fixes in olpc-kernel which need to sent upstream? If yes,
> where can I get the information regarding them?

Yeah, there are loads.
Best starting point:

http://dev.laptop.org/git/olpc-2.6/log/?h=olpc-2.6.35
git://dev.laptop.org/olpc-2.6 branch olpc-2.6.35

Your help would be very welcome!

> Secondly, is there any guides for this process(or olpc-kernel development
> process) which I can refer to? (or do we follow standard linux kernel
> process?)

Which aspect of development are you referring to?
We commit our changes directly to the git tree.

> Do we have any build system for kernel(as in periodically compiling and
> testing with new patches) or any other form of testing system.

Yes, see the targets in olpc/Makefile. And the configs in arch/x86/configs

We have an autobuild system based on the official git tree. Push a
change and a new kernel appears in http://dev.laptop.org/~kernels/
2.6.35 autobuilds will appear soon.

> I am using F12 on intel i686 machine with PAE kernel, not sure whether this
> setup is good for testing the fixes/patches? or any remote machine I can
> access for testing?

Thats appropriate for building, but for testing you will need an XO.

cheers
Daniel