OLPC 10.1.2 Release Candidate 3

Chris Ball cjb at laptop.org
Thu Aug 26 00:09:08 EDT 2010

Hi,

   > In the deployments there are complaints about accidentally
   > deleting Activities in Gnome.  Can we use the ".hidden" file in
   > Nautilus too hide it?  Doing echo "Activities" > .hidden in
   > /home/olpc/ the directory is invisible in Nautilus.

Yes, you can do that.

I'm reluctant to do that for the build by default, because it has the
unintentional side effect of making it harder to view or edit activity
source code using nautilus and gedit.  So, I'd rather see work going
towards a solution that satisfies both requirements.  Some candidate
solutions are:

* We could implement a new file attribute, similar to the current
  "immutable" attr, that allows modification but not deletion.
  We could apply that attribute to the default activities.
  It would be possible to override it with "chattr" as root.

* We could have a single "restore my default activities" button,
  either in Sugar or GNOME or both, that restores copies of deleted
  activities using the /versions/pristine/ hierarchy.  This would
  also help to restore a laptop that has deleted some of its own
  activities in order to recover from being out of disk space.

- Chris.
--
Chris Ball   <cjb at laptop.org>
One Laptop Per Child