"Mesh" Dreams = OLSR

Richard A. Smith richard at laptop.org
Tue Aug 24 12:24:35 EDT 2010

On 08/24/2010 11:45 AM, L. Aaron Kaplan wrote:

> On Aug 24, 2010, at 5:24 PM, Richard A. Smith wrote:
>

>> On 08/24/2010 10:13 AM, Reuben K. Caron wrote:
>>
>>> Consider the benefits of using open source software versus our closed
>>> source firmware and partnering with communities like Freifunk whose
>>> network is ~ 800 node, guifi.net is almost 10k nodes in Barcelona,
>>> Athens Wireless is 5k nodes.
>>
>> The largest of our mesh problems did not have to do with scalability on sheer number of nodes but
>

> BTW Richard, as far as I remember the problems with 802.11s seemed to be:
> 1) the standard is not a standard and it was intentionally crippled
> 2) the drivers were very b0rked and broken (and Marvel did a terrible job with the driver software)
>
> Scalability to less than 30 laptops in one room was the result.
> A standard good AP and standard laptops can go to 30 in one room (with standard settings).
> So, there was definitely something broken with the Marvel solution.
>
> Fix layer 2 first, then look at layer 3.

Yes, Yes,  I'm not trying to defend the previous mesh implementation in
any way.  Pretend the previous OLPC "mesh" does not exist.  And in fact
on a XO 1.5 it does not exist.

I'm saying that the bulk of our rollouts are dense scenarios connected
to an AP.  If we can do better density than an AP with less equipment
then thats something to go for.  If you can't do better than an AP then
unless you are doing the minimal-infra wide area part of mesh there
isn't much in it that will help the bulk of OLPC rollouts.

> PS: can you forward my answer to the lists? I am not subscribed...

Sure but I'm not on iaep so I can't help there.

--
Richard A. Smith  <richard at laptop.org>
One Laptop per Child