olpc-configure

Jerry Vonau jvonau at shaw.ca
Sat Aug 14 03:05:42 EDT 2010

I've been using OSBuilder to spin up some custom images, I'm just
wondering if my XO-1.5 is a little strange or if I uncovered a bug.
When olpc-configure is run at first boot and reads the $MFG_DATA in /ofw
the LO tag that is returned has "en_US.UTF8" in it which will never
match:

if ! locale -a | grep -qx "${SYS_LANG/UTF-8/utf8}"; then
	    echo "olpc-configure: Locale $SYS_LANG is not supported;"
	    SYS_LANG="en_US.UTF-8"  # better fallback than "C"
	    echo "olpc-configure: Falling back to locale $SYS_LANG"
	fi

Then the default language becomes en_US.UTF-8... So my question becomes
do I have a funny tag in ofw or is this a bug? If this is a bug, would
it not be better to source /etc/sysconfig/i18n for a LANG= variable before
defaulting to the above? Is there some sugar specific reason for the above?
Just want to know what others think. I've patched olpc-configure to work
around the issue, but the LANG=C in OSBuilder's base routine should go away
as it's not being used anyway.

Jerry