Christoph Derndorfer christoph.derndorfer at
Thu Aug 12 14:17:56 EDT 2010

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 12:49 PM, John Gilmore <gnu at> wrote:

> >> If a USB olpc-update isn't possible, I'll have to flash my XO-1 and
> >> lose my work.  Release notes say only, "Make a copy of any data you
> >> wish to keep"... how?
> >
> > I don't know of a guide.
> It's because being forced to manage your ongoing work via the Journal
> is so much easier and more intuitive than using the file systems that
> the rest of the world uses.

For what it's worth: The latest software versions coming out of Paraguay
(based on Sugar 0.88) now support easy backup of the Journal to a USB
pendrive or a school-server (see
I saw 6th grade pupils use this feature without any issues.

Christoph Derndorfer
co-editor, olpcnews
e-mail: christoph at