[support-gang] Fwd: Speak.Activity v16 on Build 802 - Problem

Tim McNamara mcnamara.tim at gmail.com
Mon Aug 9 00:05:55 EDT 2010

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 3:38 PM, Adam Holt <holt at laptop.org> wrote:

>  Plz CC devel at laptop.org if you can help!
>

>   Subject: Speak.Activity v16 on Build 802 - Problem  Date: Sun, 08 Aug
> 2010 19:44:23 -0700  From: Tony Rizos <trizos at pacbell.net><trizos at pacbell.net>  To:
> devel at lists.laptop.org
>
>   Hi,
>
> I upgraded my OLPC XO from Build 656 to 802.   Having not used the XO
> for the last 2  years, I was pleased with the changes.   I am planning
> to give it to my niece who asked if she could have it.    All works well
> except  the Speak activity. [snip] The problem is associated with the Speak v16 activity thatcomes with 802.

Hi Tony,

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Thanks for your perseverance. Speak 16
was touted as a major step forward [1][2], but does have some known issues
[3].

Are you able to tell us how you reinstalled it? Did you download an .xo file
from http://activities.sugarlabs.org?

I asked the forums if anyone had seen this problem and was recommended
> to do a no-fail update.   After wiping the XO clean and installing 802,
> Speak v16 seemed to work again with no problems.  However, when I closed
> it and restarted it, I got an error and would not start.      I then
> erased it and reinstalled it.   It started up okay with no problems but
> I get the same result when I close it and restart it.
>
> The error detail included the following messages:
>
> gst-plugins-based failed to resolve due to "Unknown"
> gstreamer failed to resolve due to "Unknown"
> gst-plugins-good failed to resolve due to "Unknown"
> Processed: 1; skipped: 0
> Cancelled

Hrm. These are issues with GStreamer, the multimedia system. [4]

~/.sugar/default/logs is where activity logs are stored. There should be a
log named "org.laptop.SpeakActivity.log" or "org.sugarlabs.SpeakActivity"
 that should provide some clues as to why it's breaking.

Tim

[1] http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/10059
[2] http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/1934
[3] http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/2103