OLPC 10.1.2 Release Candidate 1

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Sun Aug 8 20:16:30 EDT 2010

On Sun, Aug 08, 2010 at 09:41:32AM -0700, Yioryos Asprobounitis wrote:
> Wifi "disappearing" after switching back and forth from sugar to gnome.

I've not tried to track down the original problem report that you are
referring to, but Sugar and GNOME manage connection to an access point
without reference to each other, so switching between the desktop
environments will certainly cause one of the following:

1.  loss of association and then reassociation within about 35 seconds,
(because NetworkManager is told to disconnect as one desktop wraps up,
and then told to connect as the other desktop starts up),

2.  loss of association and no reassociation (the other desktop hasn't
been told to trust the access point).

> This happened to me too and I thought was an issue with the
> olpc-update I did at the time. I then clean installed and since then
> works fine but something must be there.

My guess is that you weren't aware of the separate storage for trusted
or known access points.  Once you've selected an access point in both
desktops, it will appear to work as you expect.

This is a Sugar enhancement request.
http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/1884
(use system settings instead of user settings for NetworkManager)

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/